How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34105
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

When can a County Council get power of attorney over a care

Resolved Question:

When can a County Council get power of attorney over a care home patient's finances? They have a charge on my mother's property where I live. Can the care home debts be paid only on the sale of the property?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What makes you think they have applied for Power of attorney?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They haven't applied for power of attorney and I have no further information.


Please answer the two questions with simple/general answers. That is all that I want.



Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
1. The Local Authority will only apply if there is no one else able or willing to do so - or there is extreme conflict within the Family
2. Assuming that you were living in the property prior to the charge being placed on the property then they cannot force a sale and the costs can only be paid on the sale of the property - unless of course there are other assets that can be realised
Please ask if this is too general and does not cover what you need to know
Clare and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Law Questions