13262538

When can a County Council get power of attorney over a care

When can a County Council get power of attorney over a care home patient's finances? They have a charge on my mother's property where I live. Can the care home debts be paid only on the sale of the property?
What makes you think they have applied for Power of attorney?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They haven't applied for power of attorney and I have no further information.

Please answer the two questions with simple/general answers. That is all that I want.

1. The Local Authority will only apply if there is no one else able or willing to do so - or there is extreme conflict within the Family
2. Assuming that you were living in the property prior to the charge being placed on the property then they cannot force a sale and the costs can only be paid on the sale of the property - unless of course there are other assets that can be realised
Please ask if this is too general and does not cover what you need to know