Vincent2013
Vincent2013, JustAnswer Expert
Experience:  Qualified solicitor and barrister (non-practising) with 7+ years experience
74366787

How does a joint executor of a will renounce his obligation

Customer Question

How does a joint executor of a will renounce his obligation to act? Does a wrtten statement have to be witnessed?
Expert:  Vincent2013 replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. My name's XXXXX XXXXX I'm going to assist you with it.

If you don't wish to act as an executor from the outset (and the person who appointed you is already deceased) you can attend the offices of a local solicitor to sign a deed of renunciation, which the solicitor will prepare for you.

As this is a deed, the signature will need to be independently witnessed.

I hope that's helpful.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you give me an appropriate form of words

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately providing draft wording is outside the scope of this service but a straightforward deed of renunciation can usually be provided by a solicitor on a fixed fee basis of around £100 plus VAT.

If you need to find a local solicitor that deals with probate matters, please find a link to the Law Society's find a solicitor tool that provides a search based on location and specialism.

http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/find-a-solicitor/

I hope that's helpful.