13262538

My partner and I recently split up. We signed a deed of trust

My partner and I recently split up. We signed a deed of trust 50%/50%. We are now selling our property and I am now disputing the equal division of equity, as I put down the entire deposit of 25% of the purchase price. We had verbally agreed that I would solely recieve the value of the deposit before equally dividing the remaining equity. Please let me know if there is a chance that I will recieve my deposit back. Do you know of any such cases? Many thanks.
Why did you sign a Deed of Trust which did not reflect what had actually been agreed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She became very upset when I suggested that I should receive a greater percentage. She thought this was like a prenuptial and said that I should trust her not to try to take any of my deposit. We agreed to pay the mortgage and bills in equal shares. So she said she would not sign anything but 50/50. I trusted her, knowing she had come from an unhappy, controlling relationship previously. After almost 1 year of trying to sell my house and buy this next house together, I didn't want anything to jeopardise the situation at the final hurdle.

How long ago was this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The deed of trust was March 2009

Do you have any evidence of the verbal agreement?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. I only have evidence that all the deposit, stamp duty, land registry and legal fees came from me alone.

Hi Stuart
It is bad news I am afraid the court will see the Declaration of Trust as being decisive in terms of how you intended to hold the ownership of the property UNLESS you have independent evidence of the verbal agreement
If you had in fact signed nothing at all you would have had a chance of achieving something different - but as things stand I am afraid that any court application would be a waste of your funds
I am sorry - please ask if you need further details