Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Is there a difference between power of attorney and lasting

Customer Question

Is there a difference between power of attorney and lasting power of attorney. Does lasting power of attorney replace the will
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

H there,

Thanks for your enquiry.

A Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) is the name given to a Power of Attorney, that enables someone to look after another person's affairs even if they lose mental capacity.

An LPA is only valid during the person's lifetime. So, if someone is appointed as an Attorney under an LPA, this power continues UNTIL the person who granted it, dies.

Upon death, the Executor(s) named in the person's Will have authority and the power to deal with the Estate/monies of the deceased, instead of the Attorney appointed under the LPA.

I hope this assists, but please let me know if you require any further clarification.

Kind Regards
AL

Is there anything more I can assist you with?

Kind Regards
AL