tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

We were given free access to the photographs, all from over

We were given free access to the photographs, all from over 100 years ago, from a family and were allowed to copy these. We now want to use them in a publication. Do we need to ask their permission?
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello, thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with your question.

Who took he photos and when did they die?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Almost certainly they were taken by a variety of different people, but we just do not know. Please assume that they all died 70 years ago, and advise on this basis

Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.
70 years is actually the longest period for which copyright exists under English law. So if they dies 70 or more years ago you will now be able to use the photographs without fear of being sued for copyright breach.

This is the position under the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988.

Hope this clarifies the position for you.

Tony.