Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

Hello I am in the process of trying to purchase an authentic

Customer Question

Hello I am in the process of trying to purchase an authentic and genuine Scottish Feudal Barony title from a Scottish company run by a Mr Brian Hamilton. The money involved runs into thousands and I need to know that this a genuine and recognised title and not some scam as there are hundreds of rogue sites out ther dealing in the purchase of titles of nobility.

Can you help me please?

Penny Wesson
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today.

What do you hope to achieve with this title?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

For Alex Hughes

Well, it is for a friend of mine. He wishes to have a title which is recognised lawfully and which can be kept in the family to afford him a title (Scottish or otherwise) officially and not just as a toy or a game. He will revert to that title ie Baron of ..........and his company passport, credit cards etc will carry that name, but it has to be authentic. Obviously he would not want to find that he was purporting to be someone he was not from a legal point of view. The last thing I want is for him to spend thousands of pounds on something which is nothing but a worthless bit of paper allowing him no official recognition of nobility at all. This is a heirloom if you like that he would cherish and respect and, to all intents and purposes, become.

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
There is much debate about the authenticy of these titles. The purchaser does not acquire a peerage, nor a right to sit in the House of Lords, but is paying for the privelege of an honorific title which one could theoretically use without spending so much money (you can call yourself a Lord, Laird or Baron so long as its not for a dishonest purpose). There is no scam in the sense that a title is being sold but the title itself is worthless as it confers no rights of any real value - and most people think its all a scam anyway whether or not its real.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you know there is something else to ask you if that is okay...why if the title has no intrinsic value are these people charging so much money to purchase this Barony?

What is the difference then between the £100 rogue site charges and the £76K charge. What am I getting that is different?

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Its difficult for me to say I'm afraid because there are so many websites offering so many different 'products'. If you are serious about buying the 'title' then you ought to instruct a solicitor to examine the paperwork from the company in question carefully to identify the pros and cons. The Law Society of Scotland will be able to give you list of independent solicitors who specialise in this work.