75100385

I am a tenant with H/Assoc. They are going to rip house apart

I am a tenant with H/Assoc. They are going to rip house apart to put in new central heating and (because i am in end house) I am to lose main walls to put insulation board up + window walls thru the house... 4 days of my carpets and laminate flooring to be ripped up! also I have been told my 8 and half ft wardrobe has to be moved from the main bedroom wall, (this was the only wall it would fit against when i moved in 4yrs ago) it would have to be dismantled again and the doors are damaged already when it had to be dismantled when moving from last house to here! Also i have a severely disabled daughter with cerebral palsy with behavioural problems, who for health and hygiene has to have laminate floors cleaned constantly due to feeding and personal care! I have been told when they pull up laminates the housing and the contractors aren't putting it back down again, so then its a health and safety issue, because my daughter is on the floor daily, my only 2 carpets are in hall and my bedroom, which weren't cheap... as am aware there is no compensation from the housing for the stress and any damage the contractors make! Also what makes me angry is that i had decorated last year and losing wallpaper under the insulation! If there is damages am i obligated to sign the contractor's paperwork when job done, or what road do i take!? I have sunk into depression, and had 2 asthma attacks since xmas over all this, plus i have had to empty wardrobe and boiler cupboard (which was shelved for bedding towels etc) and i have binbags all over the house because of no space. This heating job should have been done years ago, but now i am subjected to a building site, and have to start all over again, decorating and cleaning of which age 58 have neither the energy or the funds!

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Have you made any formal complaints yet? I assume your agreement allows for the works to take place please?

Customer:

Hello Alex,

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

Are you there?

Customer:

I am waiting on work to be done, it was supposed to be done friday 31st jan. Social work were trying to get me help, so Michele my daughter would be out with a carer 11am and i was told that they had contacted housing and contractors for me to get them to come in later to get work done... but they didnt and turned up 8am.. to turn everything off and start ripping up floors... I freaked out! so i foned the site manager (who was cranky, and he sent down to hard hats) and they came in telling me the hall carpet had to be ripped up and i said i was to get carpet covered etc.. they left and site manager came down and said i was shouting at his workmen and the carpet was to ripped up so i said where on earth am i going to put my hall furniture? everywhere was full of boxes and binbags in kitchen, bedroom and bathroom, so he said he wasnt doing the job! I have now to wait for a date in march, and hopefully still michele wont be here.. sorry i take so long typing...

Alex Watts :

That is ok

Alex Watts :

Let me just read what you have put

Alex Watts :

You can do a number of things:

Alex Watts :

1) Write to the Chief Executive of the Association and make a formal complaint.

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your complaint and ask that it is investigated through the formal complaints process

Alex Watts :

They will report back to you with their findings

Customer:

ok can i write this down as uyou are telling. me!

Alex Watts :

2) If you are unhappy then you can complain to the Ombudsman

Alex Watts :

(Once you rate the format changes and you can come back to it at any time or print it out)

Alex Watts :

The Ombudsman offer a free service and are independent of the Association

Alex Watts :

Their website is:

Alex Watts :

http://www.housing-ombudsman.org.uk/

Alex Watts :

But if you follow these steps I would hope that your complaint is resolved.

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Just if there is any damage done, and they dont replace laminate, am i obliged to sign there work sheet, when work is done?

Customer:

*meant with contractor

Customer:

sorry my daughter is giving me a hard time, she is being angry because i am not giving her attention, and i am trying to concentrate with you :(

Alex Watts :

No - if they damage you can say no, I am not signing until the damage is put right

Customer:

thanku, at least i know that, and wot happens then? cos they will go back to housing probably, and then do i write to the above with complaints?

Alex Watts :

Yes you take the above two steps

Customer:

I am not very good with formal letters, so i will need help from someone regarding this!

Alex Watts :

I would suggest you go to the Citizw

Alex Watts :

Citizens Advice, as they can help with letters and guide you through the process

Customer:

aww, thanku Alex...for your help! Oh well, I am even more stressed now, but its going to be a long road to go, on this one, just hope i can find the energy needed and help with it all,

Customer:

regards,

Customer:

megan