How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70124
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hello and thanks for your time. I was involved in a physical

Customer Question

Hello and thanks for your time. I was involved in a physical altercation with door staff at a night club on a university campus where there is CCTV. Am I legally entitled to watch the related footage? Thank you
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Is there any reason you think you should be ?

For what reason? Is it seized by police?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well I ended up unconscious at one point according to a St Johns ambulance report sheet, and I have no recollection of meeting a paramedic. I fear I may've been lied to by the door staff who said that they used reasonable force to detain me, then I head butted a wall, and that is all they will tell me. I would like to know if I'm entitled to see that footage as it involves me, and apparently they have nothing to hide. Thank you

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

The short answer is that you are not entitled to access to this footage save for certain exceptions.

The DPA actually prevents you getting access to information.

However, you can, in some instances, make a freedom of information act request for access to anything known about you. To be brought within the remit of the FOI Act this would need to be a public body. A nightclub is not a public body on the face of it but if its owned by a University then it may be.

Even if it is not, sometimes private bodies will comply with a FOI request voluntarily.

Also, you can report it to the police and they should go and seize the footage under their powers under PACE and subsequent acts.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So even though I am a subject of the footage, I have no right to access it? Am I not in any way protected by the DPA, for example, as I am the data, do I not have any rights regarding it?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
The DPA does not entitle you to information at all. In fact, it protects privacy.

Its the Freedom of Information Act that gives people access to information and that does only apply to public bodies.

But no, the mere fact of you being on the footage does not give you rights to it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

By public bodies do you mean hospitals, libraries etc. not small private firms such as off licenses or clubs?


If the university (a public body I assume) is in partnership with the private firm does that change their data's accessibility?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, but sometimes things that are private on the face of it are actually public bodies.

A University is a public body. If it owns the club then the club falls within the FOI.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice