Hello and thanks for your time. I was involved in a physical

Customer Question

Hello and thanks for your time. I was involved in a physical altercation with door staff at a night club on a university campus where there is CCTV. Am I legally entitled to watch the related footage? Thank you

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Is there any reason you think you should be ?

For what reason? Is it seized by police?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well I ended up unconscious at one point according to a St Johns ambulance report sheet, and I have no recollection of meeting a paramedic. I fear I may've been lied to by the door staff who said that they used reasonable force to detain me, then I head butted a wall, and that is all they will tell me. I would like to know if I'm entitled to see that footage as it involves me, and apparently they have nothing to hide. Thank you

The short answer is that you are not entitled to access to this footage save for certain exceptions.

The DPA actually prevents you getting access to information.

However, you can, in some instances, make a freedom of information act request for access to anything known about you. To be brought within the remit of the FOI Act this would need to be a public body. A nightclub is not a public body on the face of it but if its owned by a University then it may be.

Even if it is not, sometimes private bodies will comply with a FOI request voluntarily.

Also, you can report it to the police and they should go and seize the footage under their powers under PACE and subsequent acts.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So even though I am a subject of the footage, I have no right to access it? Am I not in any way protected by the DPA, for example, as I am the data, do I not have any rights regarding it?

The DPA does not entitle you to information at all. In fact, it protects privacy.

Its the Freedom of Information Act that gives people access to information and that does only apply to public bodies.

But no, the mere fact of you being on the footage does not give you rights to it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

By public bodies do you mean hospitals, libraries etc. not small private firms such as off licenses or clubs?

If the university (a public body I assume) is in partnership with the private firm does that change their data's accessibility?

Yes, but sometimes things that are private on the face of it are actually public bodies.

A University is a public body. If it owns the club then the club falls within the FOI.