75100385

Hi. We recently had a short in the tails coming from our meter.

Customer Question

Hi. We recently had a short in the tails coming from our meter. We almost had a fire and power was off for two days. Leading up to that, lights had been flickering and sockets fizzing. The power company replaced the meter and wiring. About 6 weeks later our plasma tv developed a fault. Could this be a result of the power supply problem? Thanks

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

It could be.

Alex Watts :

What you need to do is take it to an electrical company and ask them to produce a report

Alex Watts :

Once you have the report it should also outline the causes or possible causes.

Alex Watts :

If it rules out the power supply then you know you have no claim

Alex Watts :

If it does then you could get the cost of repair from the electricity company

Alex Watts :

Once you know the cost of repair then this forms your loss

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy. Make sure you send a copy of the electrician report too.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/