29905560

Im buying a new kitchen paid deposit, asked if they could

I'm buying a new kitchen paid deposit, asked if they could install it for me. I would like to know what my rights are if I no longer need them to install my kitchen?? Thanks!

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Did you pay the deposit for the purchase or the installation?

Customer: No not as yet
Ben Jones :

ok but you said you paid a deposit?

Customer: Yes only deposit , full payment is due in 3/4 weeks time....
Ben Jones :

ok so the deposit - was that for the kitchen or for the installation?

Customer: Just kitchen
Ben Jones :

and did you sign a contract or anything for the installation? Have they confirmed any dates with you to do the work?

Customer: Yes I've sighted contract , no concrete date is set!
Ben Jones :

|Does the contract have a cancellation clause?

Customer: Doesn't appear to have one!
Customer: Or I can't see one
Ben Jones :

ok if you have signed a contract about this then you will technically be bound to go ahead with it but all is not lost. There was no date agreed, you have not paid a deposit and if you give them notice to cancel this then they should have no reasons not to. They would not really have suffered any losses – had they booked you in for a specific date and then you cancelled and they could not get a replacement customer for that time then they could argue they have suffered some losses but this is not the case here. So the sooner you tell them the better chances you have of cancelling this. If they think you should not have cancelled and you had acted in breach of contract then technically thy can try and sue you but I really don’t see that happening here – they will lose a customer, create bad press for themselves and they also need to show that they have suffered losses, which may be difficult.

Customer: I did pay 10% of the deposit for the kitchen ..... Does that apply?
Ben Jones :

that is for the kitchen though, not the installation

Ben Jones :

so it should not affect the installation part and your rights will still be as mentioned above

Customer: Thanks for your help , very useful!
Ben Jones :

You are most welcome. Please take a second to leave a positive rating for the advice I have provided as that is an important part of our process. Thank you and feel free to bookmark my profile for future help:

www.justanswer.com/law/expert-ben-jones/

Customer: Have done.... Keep up the good work!
Ben Jones :