75100385

My neighbour has attached listening devices to the walls and

My neighbour has attached listening devices to the walls and was monitoring my movements and conversations. I realised this was happening and carried on as normal, but I would like to know if this behaviour is legal?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : How do you know please?
Customer: You mean how do I know they were doing this?
Customer: You mean how do I know they were doing this? I came home from work and went into the bedroom to change, I heard a very light tapping of something into the walls, then heard my neighbour say "careful we don't want her to know what we are doing"
Alex Watts : Who owns the property next door, ie are they renting it?
Customer: The person who lives there, but I don't see what relevance that has to my question?
Alex Watts :

Have you reported it to the Police please?

Customer:

No I have not as I didn't want to waste their time if it is not illegal and I would like to resolve this amicably with my neighbour if possible, but would like to know if their actions were legal or not.

Alex Watts : Yes it is illegal.
Alex Watts : They can not listen to you.
Alex Watts : This could be considered harassment
Alex Watts : It is therefore a matter which you should report to the Police, but ideally you need some evidence.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: What evidence could I obtain?
Alex Watts :

You need to say to the Police how you know. Just saying you overheard may not be enough.

Alex Watts :

But report it and see what they say.