29905560

I was dismissed from my job (insurance advisor) on the 14th

I was dismissed from my job (insurance advisor) on the 14th Jan 2014 for "loss of confidence in my role".
I was called into a meeting, with my manager, and she went through a few issues she was having with me reference customer quotes and policies. On leaving the meeting there was no additional training or advice given by my manager until we had the 14th Jan meeting with HR present.
I appealed against the decision and received a letter today stating that "there are opportunities for improvement should this situation arise again" but the 14th Jan decision stands. I was there from 11 March 2013 to Jan 2014 and i believe that they have not done enough to assist me to put things right.
Can you please advise

Keith Farmer

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Were you given notice of dismissal?

Customer:

Yes 7 days on the 14th Jan

Ben Jones :

was this what your contract entitled you to?

Customer:

Yes 7 days either way

Ben Jones :

If you have been continuously employed at your place of work for less than 2 years then your employment rights will unfortunately be somewhat limited. Most importantly, you will not be protected against unfair dismissal. This means that your employer can dismiss you for more or less any reason, and without following a fair procedure, as long as their decision is not based on discriminatory grounds (i.e. because of gender, race, religion, age, a disability, sexual orientation, etc.) or because you were trying to assert any of your statutory rights (e.g. requesting maternity/paternity leave, etc.). not helping you to improve is unfortunately not a reason you can raise in this situation as it will not change your legal position and it is not a reason that would make the dismissal automatically unfair.

If the dismissal had nothing to do with any of the above exceptions then you would not be able to challenge it and your only protection would be if you were not paid your contractual notice period, because unless you were dismissed for gross misconduct, you would be entitled to receive your contractual notice period. However, as you received the notice you were entitled to, the employer has not done anything wrong in that respect and you will not be able to challenge the dismissal I’m afraid.

Customer:

OK that is good thank you for your help. Put it behind me and move on

Customer:

Ta

Ben Jones :

You are most welcome, hope it has clarified your position. All the best