75100385

my downstairs flat which I own suffered flooding from a leak

my downstairs flat which I own suffered flooding from a leak in the upstairs flat which is rented by a private landlord. My insurance paid for the the repairs but there was a policy excess of £250.
I believe the landlord of the above premises ought to reimburse me for this £250 which I, the injured party, has now incurred. How do I do this?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Yes I would agree.
Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses of £250 and request a payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. As the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer:

I do not have an address for the landlord in question. I do have the name of the agency who handles their affairs. Do I contact he agents ?My real question is: Do I have a valid case with a reasonable chance of success?

Alex Watts : You do have a case, yes.
Alex Watts : You need to sue the landlord at the agents address in that case, or ask them for an address for service.