How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

my downstairs flat which I own suffered flooding from a leak

Resolved Question:

my downstairs flat which I own suffered flooding from a leak in the upstairs flat which is rented by a private landlord. My insurance paid for the the repairs but there was a policy excess of £250.
I believe the landlord of the above premises ought to reimburse me for this £250 which I, the injured party, has now incurred. How do I do this?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Yes I would agree.
Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses of £250 and request a payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. As the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

I do not have an address for the landlord in question. I do have the name of the agency who handles their affairs. Do I contact he agents ?My real question is: Do I have a valid case with a reasonable chance of success?

Alex Watts : You do have a case, yes.
Alex Watts : You need to sue the landlord at the agents address in that case, or ask them for an address for service.
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you