12826847

Can a landlord of a private car park forbid you from leaving

Customer Question

Can a landlord of a private car park forbid you from leaving site and shopping at other shops?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Could you explain your situation a bit more please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We have a horseshoe shaped shopping area in our town, with approximately 14 units in it, in front of the shops is a car park. The new landlord has recently introduced 24 ANPR with a maximum stay of 2 hours and no return in two hours. But also as part of the conditions, it only allows to use the shops of Eddisbury Square and if caught leaving site you will also be fined.

Thanks. I'm sorry but I'm not sure I can give you good news.

The landlord is able to do that, provided it is clearly noted on the signage.

That said, being able to do it in academic law and actually enforcing it is a completely different issue because it would mean that you would have to be identified as the driver of the vehicle and identified as having left the area and returned.

I think he is in danger of upsetting the tenants in the shops because this is going to put people off visiting those shops.

However, to answer your question, he cannot stop you leaving the site and shopping at other shops, but he can charge you if you do so having left the car in his car park.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you wanted.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was estimating that would be the case, but obviously trying to prove it would be an issue for them.

Many thanks for your help

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/