Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
18726264

I want a simple agreement (preferably in letter form, but if

Customer Question

I want a simple agreement (preferably in letter form, but if not a simple document/agreement) for a friend to hold ordinary shares in a private company, on my behalf
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 3 years ago.
In what circumstances do you want to do this. It can be done by a declaration of trust. You can find one free here:
http://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/Legal_Documents/Trusts_and_Property/Declaration_of_Trust_in_Relation_to_Shares

However you should be aware that the register of a company is evidence of legal title - a but like the registration of a car - so your friend could transfer the shares to a third party without necessarily you knowing.

To protect yourself you need to make sure you retain both the share certificate and a share transfer form signed so you can re register the shares in your own name.

You will not of course receive notices or anything else from the company if you are not the shareholder.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for this.

I did not get the full link to the Declaration of Trust document, please can you give it to me again?

Many thanks.

if it does not work, the website is Lawontheweb.co.uk