75100385

Hi I want to write a blog about celebrities. Essentially

I want to write a blog about celebrities. Essentially paraphrasing articles that I have read in magazines and then giving my personal opinion. Can I be sued by either the magazines or the person referred to in the article?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

If you are re-writing it and it is then your own work then that is fine

Alex Watts :

What you can not do is just copy it.

Alex Watts :

So if it you are just taking what they have written and re-write it yourself so it becomes your own work - then that is acceptable.

Alex Watts :

In those circumstances the chances of being sued are somewhat slim

Customer:

What about what I say about the celebrity could they say it is libel

Alex Watts :

Customer:

yes i know the magazine won't sue me, what about the celebrity I am writing about?

Alex Watts :

Well it depends libel - if what you are saying is untrue then maybe.

Alex Watts :

A celebrity will only sue you if you say things that are not true, for example Brad Pitt stole a loaf of bread from Tesco

Customer:

even if i am quoting a magazine, not my own opinion

Alex Watts :

Yes.

Alex Watts :

Because you are NOT quoting a magazine for copyright reasons.

Customer:

Tricky then because I don't know whether what the magazine is reporting is true or not

Alex Watts :

Well that is the risk you take of course.

Alex Watts :

I can only tell you what the law is

Customer:

If I state that I do not know if what i have read is true, but if it were true this is my opinion would that work?

Alex Watts :

No]

Alex Watts :

Not if it is published and it is untrue

Alex Watts :

Otherwise people could say anything about anyone

Customer:

Guess that's the end of my blog then! Thanks for your help

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

Customer:

:)

Alex Watts :

Good luck!