12826847

My trouble started when I had a spat with B.Telecom over the

Customer Question

My trouble started when I had a spat with B.Telecom over the number of rings they allowed us to answer the phone ! We are both abit wobbly, and we could never get the phone before it rung off. Eventually the operator asked if we would... like to change our provider? Recalling the encouragement to "change Providers" by the media, I told the man "Yes" OK I'll get someone else to service o.ur phone. I do not know quite how we arrived with a Provider called DTC Direct, 9 Ashton Gate , Ashton Road, Romford Essex RM3 8UF.
They sent me all the equipment for Broadband and Wy Fi ( I especially needed Wy Fi so that I could work the new Apple Mac away from this nasty cold room) I connected it all up, and in spite of getting DTC to talk me through the process, I failed on two attempts to get Wy Fi to work. Perhaps a bit hastily, I asked if I might return to BT. BT agreed and sent me all the paraphanalia for Broadband and Wy Fi. The first box of tricks did not work in spite of patient encouragement by the BT Operator assigned to me. She eventually decided to send another "Hub" which worked immediately I connected it to my computer.
DTC were soon onto this and asked me why I had returned to B.T Because, I said, your hub is not fit for purpose. I have spent alot of time and all my patience trying to get it to work. I returned their hub, and paid the small bill for the few telephone calls I had when their equipment was in use. I became alarmed when I received a bill from DTCirect for an ewe-watering £596. This was apparently due to my breaching their contract contained in a lengthy document which I have to admit was the same as so many other computer related stuff, in small almost illegible print.
I cancelled all financial contact with them, and told them the because they were either unable or unwilling to connect me properly to Wy Fi, I refused to pay their exorbitant fee.
after a few more demanding letters, I went to see my lawyer who directed me to you,the Ombudsman
I should add that I am retired, aged almost 85. Used to be in Farm Management and latterly land surveying.
Yours sincerely XXXXX

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

I’m a moderator for this topic. It looks like your question was meant for another company. We match people with questions to Professionals with answers in areas like Health, Pets, Computers, Taxes, Cars, Financial, Legal, Home Improvement and more.