75100385

I placed a bet with paddy power for £700 on a horse running

Customer Question

I placed a bet with paddy power for £700 on a horse running at 3.20 I decided I was gambling too much so self excluded myself so I cudnt bet anymore they closed my account at 3.26 after the horse had won am I entitled to the winnings?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

At the time of exclusion did you say you wanted all bets to remain? Did they give you the bet back for the 3.20pm?

JACUSTOMER-q4c09r37- : I didn't say I wanted bets to remain, but they didn't say all bets were void and didn't give the bet back before 3.20
Alex Watts :

Did they give you back the bet for the 3.20?

JACUSTOMER-q4c09r37- : They said they are going to now just the stake back
Alex Watts :

Ok. Well its good and bad news.

Alex Watts :

The goods news is that if you bet on 3.20 and that result happened then they should give you the winnings.

Alex Watts :

However the bad news is that in law a bet is not a contract, it is a gentleman's agreement and this means it is not binding, it is binding in honour only.

Alex Watts :

Therefore sadly even though you may be entitled to the winnings you can not sue for it

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything for you about this for you today please?

JACUSTOMER-q4c09r37- : No that's it thankyou
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

Alex Watts :

Please do take a moment to leave feedback before you go today