29905560

I want to know if it is worth me taking Everest to court to

I want to know if it is worth me taking Everest to court to get compensation. They recently installed a new window and bi-fold doors at my home and did an appalling job. They broke building regulations, lied about the work needing Build Control inspection, had no idea how to do the structural work and left my home structurally unsafe (according to an independent builder). They have now rectified the work, under the supervision of my builder, but I feel they owe me compensation. The work was supposed to take 5 days and took 12 weeks and I had to engage specialist advice to monitor their work. All they are offering is a discount on future work, which I would never engage Everest to do. The work cost £9,600, more than a local builder quote, but I went with Everest thinking it was an experienced and reputable company.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

What are the actual losses you have suffered as a result of this?

Customer:

No financial losses, as the builder who advised me was a friend. I did have to take 13 days off work, instead of the original 5 days to be at home to supervise them.

Ben Jones :

In these circumstances you can only sue the builders for actual losses that have been suffered, for example if you had to do remedial work or buy extra materials, etc. If you were only subjected to stress and inconvenience as a result of this, but the builders actually resolved the issues that were initially experienced, then no actual losses would have been suffered and the court is unlikely to issue you with any compensation. You could possible try and sue for the extra days off taken from work but that won't be easy and you will have to quantify those losses and in the end are unlikely to recover for the full period or for the full amount you may have lost as a result. Had the work been abandoned or been left in a state where you had to get someone new to repair it then I would have certainly advised you to consider suing for your losses but as there are no real losses here, just inconvenience, the court will not really entertain a claim in this case so it would not be recommended to pursue this in court

Customer:

ok, thank you