Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I want to enter into a business partnership with an Iranian

I want to enter into a business partnership with an Iranian illustrator based in Iran, however, I have discovered that there are international trade sanctions on Iran. From what I can tell, they relate to oil, manufacture, precious metals and not the illustration of picture books. My understanding is that such a venture would fall under 'informational materials' which are not subject to the sanctions. We have also agreed that payments would go to his sister, who lives in Canada.

Could you tell me if this is all above board? Thank you.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

While what you are suggesting is not illegal per say, you always have to be on your guard when accepting a service from one party and making a payment to another party.

The party you are likely to face the most scrutiny from is your bank therefore you should really take the following steps:
1. Ask for identification of both the illustrator and his sister;
2. Make his sister party to your agreement for the purpose of accepting the money;
3. Ask your bank to confirm they will be happy to make the payment to the sister;
4. Ask the illustrator to confirm what bank she will be using in Canada.

The danger is that you will be implicit in money laundering and as the money is in relation to a service from a restricted country this raises the suspicion of the funding of terrorism. Therefore if you ever came under scrutiny you need to be able to show you had a legitimate agreement in place. Are for example the cost of the services in line with industry standard?

I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for this! Your advice really clarifies the situation, which was starting to make my mind boggle!

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately it is a very grey area and I would approach this with absolute caution, if you cannot completely satisfy yourself of everyone's identity and where the money is going then do not do it.

The tale of caution really is when you here about a pensioner being extradited to the US to face terrorism charges when all they have done is have one restricted party in their supply chain.

If I can assist any further please do not hesitate to contact me.

AJ