13262538

My sister in law has stopped my wife seeing there mother who

My sister in law has stopped my wife seeing there mother who now has dementia and has just been moved into a care home without our knowledge Its a family issue that we do not fully understand because no one will state why she is behaving like this! Can she stop my wife visiting her at the care home and she is currently in hospital after a fall and the sister in law has told the nurses to use a password XXXXX anyone rings to enquire about her well being, stopping my wife finding out how she is. It's purely out of spite as that's what she is like. What can we do if anything, any help would be appreciated.
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.Does your Sister in Law hold Power of attorney for her mother?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She told my wife about three/four months ago that she did, or should I say she shouted it at her, but we have never seen anything to confirm it!

Has the hospital said she has produced one?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No she has not shown them anything but we are more concerned about my wife's rights to see her mum when she is back at the care home. We have not contacted the care home yet as wanted to see if they can stop her visiting her mum there. My wife had not even been told she was in a care home which must have been a very recent move.

Lawrence.

May I ask how long it has been since she saw her mother?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She last saw her mother in November when she went around to see her on a Saturday. Her sister was there and went mental at my wife screaming at her to leave the house and your not welcome here, whilst my mother in law was sat on her bed crying! The next week when my wife went to visit during the week her father would not then let her in either. I know its hard to believe this sort of thing going on but the sister in law has always had a nasty streak in her and because they have not talked for the last 2-1/2 yrs this is her way of scoring points with my wife and her father always listens to what she says and to do! My father in law although not speaking to my wife had let her visit her mother up until this confrontation with her sister, my wife to be fair did not get into an argument with her and simply left.

Lawrence

Is her husband still alive?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes he is!

Has your wife spoken to her father about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She tried to but will not talk only gets aggressive and swears, her sister calls all the shots here and what she has been saying to cause this problem is unknown to us.

My wife has just visited her mother in the care home a couple of hours ago as she has been discharged by the hospital. Her mother was quite lucid today and gave my wife a hug and said she loved her. My wife asked if it was OK being there and her mother said yes! However her sister was just arriving as my wife left so I can see her telling the home not to let her in again if she was seen, that's what she is like!

Lawrence.

You can check whether or not her sister holds a Lasting Power of Attorney to deal with Health and Welfare issues using the form here
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/212237/OPG100_apply_to_search_register.pdf
Unless she holds such a Power then the sister cannot dictate whether or not your wife visits her mother
However if her mother is in hospital and not able to express her views then her husband can indeed say who should or should not visit her
IPlease ask if you need further details
Clar