12826847

Hello. I am in dispute with Civil Enforcement Agency called

Customer Question

Hello. I am in dispute with Civil Enforcement Agency called Bristow and Suiter. I received a letter from them in October threatening a seizure of goods if I did not pay monies owed. I called them directly to set up a payment plan. They refused my offer as they said the balance had to be cleared in 8 months. I have been paying them monies on a regular basis since but they are now sending bailiffs. Can you please help?

Hi. Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

To begin with I owed 334.24 on 11/10/2013. This amount has increased to 442.84 even though I have paid 25pounds a month since november

Ok. Thanks.

What would you like to know about this ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can they legally refuse my offer of payment as I am on very limited income having just been medically discharged from the army? And is there any way to stop the bailiffs coming round as I am trying to clear the debt?

Yes, they can I'm afraid.

Is there a CCJ against you and from when please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As far as I am aware no. But according to Bristow and Suitor, who told me today that as this is an unpaid parking fine, the local council sent it to court who sent it to Bristow and Suitor, the Civil Enforcement Agency and Bailiffs. And as I have not paid the amount they wanted they are coming to seize goods. I live in my partners home now as I had to move due to my medical discharge and financial situation. Can they also seize my partners goods?

Ok.

If its an unpaid fine, do the DVLA have the right address for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes they have my partners address.

Did you get any information about the original fine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was sent to my old address but I was in hospital at the time so did not receive it. When I came out of hospital I went to my partners where through dvla, bristow and suitor wrote to me.

Was that the address registered with the DVLA at the time that they wrote there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes

Ok.

How much is it now and how much have you offered?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

442.84, I have offered and been paying 25 pounds a month since November but the amount keeps going up

Yes, it will unfortunately.

One option is to make a statutory declaration to the effect that you didn't get the PCN or other documents which you can truthfully do one these facts but it might be refused because the reason you didn't get it was that you didn't keep tabs on your post.

If this is a parking fine then it cannot be resolved by a variation order although you could ask the council to consider forcing the bailiffs to accept a lesser amount. They may well say that its in the hands of the bailiffs now though.

Alternatively, if you really cannot pay off the full amount then pay as much as you can to try to stop enforcement. Probably they would accept £100 a months. Maybe if you pay £50 a month they would leave you alone but nobody can guarantee that. Bailiffs will enforce against the greatest defaulter. If you were paying £50 a month on this debt then you would probably not be the worst on their books.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information. I am just about to travel home but I will be back again in about an hour if thats OK?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your advice, just one last question, Can the bailiffs seize any of my partners goods if I can prove they are hers as I have nothing of monetary value?

They won't seize anything of non monetary value anyway.

But they shouldn't seize goods belonging to her as she is not the debtor.

You can always refuse to let them in and park your car many streets away.