29905560

I had a minor prang whilst reversing my car in a local car

I had a minor prang whilst reversing my car in a local car park. The only damage was a slight bump to a fog light. The driver of the car, which was a company car said to me that this was the third time in a couple of weeks that he had had an accident. He said that he or his boss would get back to me in a week if there was any repairs needed. That was at the on the 3rd December 2013. I just received a bill for £92.00, but the date the repairs was carried out according to the garage invoice was the 27th Jan 2014. That is over a month, am I still liable or can I argue that this damage invoiced could have happened after the 3rd Dec?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Have you been given evidence to show that the area which was repaired was the one you hit?

Customer:

no , at the time it was avisual inspection by the driver and myself

Customer:

hi ben,what are my options

Ben Jones :

You could argue this may not have been the damage you caused and ask them for proof that the work was done on this specific area. If, for example, the garage that made the repairs can confirm that then it would be reasonable to presume it was the same damage. If they cannot provide such proof you could refuse to pay until they do so. If they are unhappy with your decision they can consider whether to pursue you further for this money, it could be by issuing a claim in the small claims court but then as they are making the claim it would be for them to show that on the balance of probabilities the damage that was repaired was caused by you. So they would still at least some evidence to show this was most likely the case

Customer:

sorry, in laymans terms my options are,

Customer:

argue the case or pay, which would you recommend. Would a small claims court end up being more expensive

Ben Jones :

Well it's difficult to say which option is the best as no one can predict how they will proceed. If they were to sue then potentially it could become more expensive but not by much - worst case you would be asked to pay what you owe, their court fees and nominal interest, so it could double the amount but you are not looking at hundreds more, that's for sure

Customer:

So I should ask politely for evidence that the repair was my fault. What about the aspect that the driver said he had similar damage the week before?

Ben Jones :

That is circumstantial to be honest - it is entirely possible that he genuinely had a bump the week before, followed by yours and then had yours repaired for the costs claimed

Customer:

Ok, I knew I should have stayed at Law school and finished my degree!

Customer:

appreciate your advice

Ben Jones :

You are most welcome. Please take a second to leave a positive rating for the advice I have provided as that is an important part of our process. Thank you and feel free to bookmark my profile for future help:

www.justanswer.com/law/expert-ben-jones/