Somebody crashed into the back of my car last week. We got

Customer Question

Somebody crashed into the back of my car last week. We got out. The other driver was apologizing profusely. Because there was no damage to my car I just shook hands, got back in and drove away. Now some insurance agent wants to get my details over the phone. He is not disclosing any information, mumbling when we ask for his agency name or his name and does not give a phone number. I wonder whether I should go to the police to register the accident (if its not too late), talk to my insurance company or get a lawyer.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Just to clarify, there was no damage to either car?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There was some minor damage to the other car. At least the front air intake grid was deformed or so.

Do you know whether or not your insurance require you to report? Sometimes they do on an information only basis but you might be in time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I think you are right. I do have to notify the insurance agency and it should not be too late. Quoting the policy:
These Conditions Apply to the Whole Policy
A You or your legal representatives shall:
(i) give us notice in writing as soon as reasonably possible of any accident, injury, loss or damage and send to us every letter or other information in your possession without delay

Here is the full policy, for reference:

You should really notify your insurance company even if only on information basis.

You are out of time now to report the accident to the police under the duty to report but it doesn't matter because you stopped at the scene. There could be no prosecution from you arising.

Unfortunately though I think this is something that you have to leave to your insurance company. It will have an impact upon your no claims bonus Bucks if an insurance company is already involved then they cannot be a private settlement.

If he drove into the back of you in a rear end shunt that it is difficult to see how you could be blamed for this.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was working on filling out the application form for the insurance agency and noted that my EU driving license is expired. I am wondering what impact can it have on the report to the insurance agency.

Also if I request a new license in the UK it will take up to 3 weeks to get it by mail or I can travel back to my home country to order it there which can take a week, so I am wondering which approach is better and what is better to put on the insurance form.

This could present a major problem if this has to go through your insurance company because you are only insured while you have a licence.

If you get stopped, you will get prosecuted for having no licence and no insurance. So therefore you should stop driving immediately until your new licence arrives.

If they call you again, do not enter into any dialogue, but tell them to put everything in writing. It is very difficult for them to avoid that.

You are under a duty to notify your insurance company of any incident, even if it is not your fault.

Unfortunately, the insurance company may cancel your insurance if they notice the discrepancy in your licence dates.

I am afraid there is no way getting round the fact that your licence has expired because it has.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile