How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69258
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Somebody crashed into the back of my car last week. We got

Customer Question

Somebody crashed into the back of my car last week. We got out. The other driver was apologizing profusely. Because there was no damage to my car I just shook hands, got back in and drove away. Now some insurance agent wants to get my details over the phone. He is not disclosing any information, mumbling when we ask for his agency name or his name and does not give a phone number. I wonder whether I should go to the police to register the accident (if its not too late), talk to my insurance company or get a lawyer.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Just to clarify, there was no damage to either car?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There was some minor damage to the other car. At least the front air intake grid was deformed or so.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Do you know whether or not your insurance require you to report? Sometimes they do on an information only basis but you might be in time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I think you are right. I do have to notify the insurance agency and it should not be too late. Quoting the policy:
These Conditions Apply to the Whole Policy
A You or your legal representatives shall:
(i) give us notice in writing as soon as reasonably possible of any accident, injury, loss or damage and send to us every letter or other information in your possession without delay


Here is the full policy, for reference:

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.

You should really notify your insurance company even if only on information basis.

You are out of time now to report the accident to the police under the duty to report but it doesn't matter because you stopped at the scene. There could be no prosecution from you arising.

Unfortunately though I think this is something that you have to leave to your insurance company. It will have an impact upon your no claims bonus Bucks if an insurance company is already involved then they cannot be a private settlement.

If he drove into the back of you in a rear end shunt that it is difficult to see how you could be blamed for this.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69258
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was working on filling out the application form for the insurance agency and noted that my EU driving license is expired. I am wondering what impact can it have on the report to the insurance agency.

Also if I request a new license in the UK it will take up to 3 weeks to get it by mail or I can travel back to my home country to order it there which can take a week, so I am wondering which approach is better and what is better to put on the insurance form.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
This could present a major problem if this has to go through your insurance company because you are only insured while you have a licence.

If you get stopped, you will get prosecuted for having no licence and no insurance. So therefore you should stop driving immediately until your new licence arrives.

If they call you again, do not enter into any dialogue, but tell them to put everything in writing. It is very difficult for them to avoid that.

You are under a duty to notify your insurance company of any incident, even if it is not your fault.

Unfortunately, the insurance company may cancel your insurance if they notice the discrepancy in your licence dates.

I am afraid there is no way getting round the fact that your licence has expired because it has.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice