12826847

I am a landlord and registered a tenants deposit on the DPS

Customer Question

I am a landlord and registered a tenant's deposit on the DPS insurance scheme very late (shortly before prospective tenancy termination). The tenant, who has been up to two months in arrears but is now up to date, has now been provided with the registration details. I intend to return the full deposit on termination. The tenant is claiming that he would be awarded three times the deposit as compensation by a court. I offered one times the deposit as compensation. Could you please advise what you consider to be a likely outcome of a court action. Also would it make a difference to a court action if I had offered to go to independent arbitration? Apologies for the length of the question.

Douglas Johnstone

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Was there a reason for the delay in securing the deposit please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. I had just been tardy in getting round to it and almost always return my tenants' deposits in full.

Your site has been accessed from my workplace. I access the e-mail account identified from home and assume that I will be able to view the reply there and provide feedback via e-mail also.

I am now logging off from my workplace computer.

I assumed that the reply would be provided via my on-line connection to your site.

I am also unclear what the overlay pane stating something like 'query has been put out to all lawyers' means.

Douglas Johnstone

Sorry for the delay.

There is absolutely no need to worry. The tenant has been reading nonsense on the internet.

He has a claim for up to three times the amount. I have never yet seen a court order more than the sum of the deposit even for landlords that hadn't protected the deposit at all.

You will just have to explain the reason for the delay and the court will accept it.

In any event, if he accepts the deposit back then that will bring an end to his claim.

HOpe this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Jo, Thank you for the response in connection with my query. I Responded with an 'Excellent service' rating but have recently received further e-mails from 'Justanswer'. As far as I am concerned the metter is now closed.

Thank you very much.

Douglas Johnstone

It is closed. I think the site is sending you automated emails but there is no need to do anything else.