12826847

Is it ok to park a malfunctioning old bike parked at the kerb

Customer Question

Is it ok to park a malfunctioning old bike parked at the kerb outside your house to reserve the space for your car till you get home from work? If someone moves it onto the footpath are they doing wrong?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Could you explain your situation a bit more please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not reAlly. our street has a parking problem. my neighbour puts an old bike in the space when his wife goes to work in the car to block the space till she gets home up to 12hours later. is this ok.

Obviously I haven't seen this layout so its difficult to imagine.

There is no offence per se in leaving a broken down vehicle on the Tarmac of a public road if its MOTed, taxed and insured.

If you are saying that this bike is placed on the pavement itself then that is an automatic offence if you are in London but outside London only am offence if there are signs IP prohibiting footway parking.

If you are asking whether you can move the bike yourself onto the footwell then there is an offence of vehicle interference although whether anybody would be interested if all you did was move it is another matter. I suppose the issue is what allegations might be made though rather than what are actually true.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need any more information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

as it is a bicycle it is not taxed or insured. he puts it on the road side of the kerb strategically placedlongways againt the kerb to stop any cars parking of other residents or visitors parking in front of his house so his wife can park her car when she gets home from work. its not about parking a bike it is purely to to reserve a parking place for a car on a public road. the bike itself doesnt work.he could be using a wheely bin or

a stolen bollard for the same pupose but obviously thinks a bike looks less like deliberately saving the space for the car

If its pedal cycle then you could argue this amounts to causing an obstruction. It certainly would with a wheelie bin.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are you saying that it is legally ok to "park" a pedal cycle on a public residential road outside your home (not on the footpath but on the road itself as you would park a car) with the sole intention of blocking that stretch of kerbside parking until you get home from work, move the cycle to your garden and park your car in the space you have reserved with the cycle? But there is a possibility that the cycle could/would be an obstruction? If a neighbour moved the cycle out the road so they could park their car would they be committing an offence?

Its not a vehicle within the meaning of the RTA so you would not commit vehicle interference if you did move it. Obviously you have to leave it safe and secure.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

all sorted

Yes, I am sure it is.

I think the site are sending you automated emails as you are not the first to mention it.

Don't worry.