75100385

Hi, my query is with regards XXXXX XXXXX law. We are a book

Customer Question

Hi, my query is with regards XXXXX XXXXX law. We are a book publisher and are thinking of venturing into the e-book market. Are there any safeguards to prevent online piracy of e-book titles? What can we do to prevent it occurring or if it occurs what can we do to protect our copyright of our titles? I look forward to your response

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Is it available as a PDF or though sources like amazon please?
JACUSTOMER-a1o6zu8x- :

All our titles are available as paperback, hardback and audiobook and sold through our national distributors (Gardner's and Bertram's) who supply all high-street stores and online retailers (such as amazon). In order to go down the e-book route we would be required to create ".epub" and ".mobi" formats of our titles which would be compatible with e-book readers such as the kindle.

Alex Watts : Ok. And is it subject to copyright at the moment?
JACUSTOMER-a1o6zu8x- : Yes we hold the copyright to all our titles through out the world.
Alex Watts :

Does not the places like Amazon deal with copyright for you please?

JACUSTOMER-a1o6zu8x- : Amazon will not be able to prevent piracy . Again the original question is addressing what legal rights and actions we have and can take if we discovered that our content/Ebooks etc was being distributed without our prior written consent.
Alex Watts :

But is that a term of any agreement, it needs your prior written agreement? Don't the channels you use suggest they can make their own agreements?

JACUSTOMER-a1o6zu8x- :

Let me re-address the original query, if we found out that someone or company is distributing and selling our titles (in e-format) and online without our consent is there anything we can do legally to stop them and enforce the the complete removal of the content?

Alex Watts :

Yes.

Alex Watts :

You would be able to seek an injunction, but only in the UK.

Alex Watts :

You would need to complete forms N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and N16a http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n016a-eng.pdf

Alex Watts :

The matter would go before a Judge and you could ask that they be stopped.

Alex Watts :

You own the copyright and as a publisher can say who it goes to

Alex Watts :

So if someone is re-selling it then you can sue for breach of intellectual copyright

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/