75100385

can you put copyright material on a new website legally?th

Customer Question

can you put copyright material on a new website legally?thankyou

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : I assume someone else owns that copyright?
JACUSTOMER-nkrg44n1- :

yes,thats right-mainly concerning films books and dvds.

Alex Watts :

Then there is only one way of doing it - you need permission

Alex Watts :

If you do not have permission then you would be passing off.

Alex Watts :

This means you could be sued and have to pay damages.

Alex Watts :

Therefore the ONLY way forward is to seek permission from the owner of the copyright

Alex Watts :

If they refuse there is nothing you can do

Alex Watts :

If you just want to quote a small passage you can do that without permission, but you need to reference and credit the source.

Alex Watts :

Otherwise you need permission

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/