29905560

I had a relationship with a married man. Its over and has

I had a relationship with a married man. It's over and has been for ages but I've had txt from his wife asking me to stay away and threatening to 'do me for harassment' I had heard nothing and not contacted him until he emailed me last week. He is now asking me to delete all the emails and evidence of our contact but I am worried and an reluctant to do that. I am really not sure where I stand apart from being an idiot to get involved in the first place. Should I keep the emails?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Have you had any contact with the woman apart from her approaching you this time?

Customer:

She sent me a facebook message in September but I didn't reply

Ben Jones :

You cannot be forced to delete any of this correspondence and there is no reason to do so. The only purpose would be for the benefit of the man who is obviously trying to cover his tracks in case it all comes out one day to haunt him. That in itself is not a reason to delete the messages and you may still wish to keep them in case they are needed in the future. As to harassment, I would not be too worried about this, there would be little the woman can do to pursue you for this. Having an affair with someone is not unlawful and neither is it harassment. It would only be harassment if, for example, you had continued to contact the man or his wife despite their requests not to, but if you carried on minding your own business and trying to leave this behind you, then it is not harassment, especially if the only contact you have had with either of them is to respond to their communications

Customer:

OK thank you that is very helpful - I will keep them for now just in case, you've really eased my mind.

Ben Jones :

You are most welcome, all the best