UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

Hello.My name is XXXXX XXXXX grateful to receive some advice

Customer Question

Hello.My name is XXXXX XXXXX grateful to receive some advice from you if possible.
I live in England since 18.09.2010.All these 3 years I've been living with my husband wchich is British.I've got my ILRstatus since fabruary2013.So I could apply for my naturalisation already.But at the moment I'm in separation with my husband because of his behaviour and he is in prison now and I planing to divorce him.So I havn't got any contact with him(through my solicitor only).so I would like to ask- could I apply for my naturalization now after 3 years living in this country( we are still married but already in separation) or I have start divorce process first and apply for sitizenship after 5 years like not married person? Thank you so much if you can help me.
Kind regards.
Olena
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hi thank you for your question.

You are able to apply for British citizenship after 3 years, this is because the basis on which you applied for ILR was your marriage and therefore the same rules will apply when you apply for your citizenship regardless of your situation with your husband.

I hope this answers your question if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time. If however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Is there anything further I can assist you with?

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 3 years ago.