75100385

Dear Sir/ Madam, I run a gaming Affiliate business in the UK.

Dear Sir/ Madam, I run a gaming Affiliate business in the UK. The model used is a commission based model whereby we generate traffic to a brand and once a user decides to play we get a revenue share. One of the brand we cover is refusing to pay revenue share from users we have generated in the past, on the basis that we have not generated new accounts for over 30 days. Are they legally allowed to do so?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Is there anything in a contract that says they can do this on the basis claimed please?

Customer:

There is but heir site has changed and I am not sure if the previous agreement included this particular section. The T& Cs are at http://www.affiliatebingo.com/terms-conditions/, and the paragraph in question is:

Customer:

3.4 Affiliate accounts which have not actively been promoting the game/site or affiliate accounts with less than 5 created and funded player accounts in the last 30 days can at the discretion of management be disabled and any pending payments forfeited.

Customer:

Here is the email I sent them:

Customer:

The brands were promoted in December and January on our sites hence the figures displayed on your system before the payment request. You actively removed any trace of our traffic which demonstrated that we were actively promoting the site. Why???

Secondly, when did you actually discuss this with us??? We do not have any notice. You did not provide us with any notice as per point 16 and point 17.2 of the agreement. Having said that, your agreement is breaching many of the European fair and standard trade rules. It consequently has very little weight in any European courts.

Furthermore beside the legal part which you quickly highlighted, It is totally outrageous that you hold our payment generated from the players we sent you (Traffic that we have worked hard to generate and traffic that we have paid for). In 15 years in the gaming industry I have never faced such an unethical action from any brand I have covered.

The only reason we temporarily disabled your links in a first place is because you were not paying what was owed to us on time and you continuously delayed payments and refused to reply, giving us no alternative but to temporarily disable your links. Actions which were taken after numerous emails sent to you regarding outstanding payments, system and stats issues which you ignored at the time. Each time payment was received all links were re-activated. I have kept a copy of all emails sent and received to you since our joining date in 2010.

Alex Watts :

Where are they based please?

Alex Watts :

Does it have a date on the terms?

Customer:

Cyprus

Customer:

I cant see any date no

Alex Watts :

And you are in the UK I assume?

Alex Watts :

Does it say which country the contract is governed by please?

Customer:

Yes I am

Customer:

20. Governing Law
This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of The Republic of Cyprus.

Alex Watts :

Its bad news then I am afraid.

Alex Watts :

This means although you may well have a claim and from the sounds of it you do - you will have to sue in Cyprus and not the UK.

Alex Watts :

Therefore you will need to instruct a lawyer and issue proceedings there.

Alex Watts :

I can't tell you about their legal system as I really dont know. I would assume it is similar to ours.

Alex Watts :

But without any doubt you would be required to issue proceedings there.

Customer:

I cannot understand how they can simply stop paying revenue share from players previously sent to them. It would be too easy to generate new players and then not getting paid because they decide not to.

Alex Watts :

No I agree, just because it is inactive does not mean you haven't done the work before.

Alex Watts :

Therefore I agree, I do think you have a claim

Customer:

Is there anything within the European law which would rule their paragraph out?

Alex Watts :

But sadly you have to issue proceedings in Cyprus

Alex Watts :

No

Alex Watts :

Its a contract to which you and they have agreed.

Alex Watts :

The same if it was governed by UK law, you would have to issue here.

Alex Watts :

But you agreed to their terms so it has to be there

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

CAn I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer:

I hear you and understand but I do not recall agreing with this particular section.

Customer:

They may have changed the wording

Customer:

Anyway thank you for your time and answer

Alex Watts :

I doubt they have changed the jurisdiction section, this is standard for online gaming

Alex Watts :

Cyprus is a popular place for licences and operations.

Alex Watts :

Therefore you are stuck with that.

Customer:

I know

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

Customer:

I am just baffled that such an agreement can be re-enforced by law

Alex Watts :

I agree the terms are not fair.

Alex Watts :

But its down to the Cypriot legal system not UK law sadly.

Customer:

Final question, in your opinion, would the UK system re-enforce such an agreement or would it rule it out as unfair trading?

Alex Watts :

If it was based in the UK and UK legal system I think there is a reasonable chance a Judge would rule it as unfair.

Customer:

ok thank you for your assistance and patience.

Alex Watts :

No problem all the best and remember to leave feedback before you go today

Customer:

Will do

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience