75100385

I am a contractor and I signed a JCT Minor Works Building contract.

I am a contractor and I signed a JCT Minor Works Building contract. The project has not yet been started. Can withdraw from the contract without any consequences?

Andy

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Has it been signed by the other party and is there a termination clause please?

Customer:

Customer:

Would you like to chat with me?

Alex Watts : Yes I am here just having dinner - let me know when you are back online.
Customer:

Customer:

I'm online.

Alex Watts : Hi. Is there a termination clause?
Alex Watts : Has it been signed by both parties?
Customer:

I'm polish so is difficult for me to find crux of the matter in the large amount of uneasy text.The contract has been signed by client , me and the architect like witness .If you know this kind of contract maybe you will be able to find this section that talks about the possibility of withdrawing from the contract.

Alex Watts : Does it say anything about termination? That will be the heading?
Alex Watts : i understand it is difficult, if there is a section on termination you could scan and send it to me?
Customer:

ok,give me a few min I will scan section 6 Termination and I will send to you.

Alex Watts : Ok
Customer:

You should get 5 pages.Please let me know if you got them all.

Alex Watts : I am on the train so it won't let me access it. I will try again when I get to a fixed point.
Customer:

ok,thanks

Alex Watts :

I have examined the detail in contract Andy.

Alex Watts :

It is bad news I am afraid. I have looked at the termination clause.

Alex Watts :

Because both parties (you and the other side) have signed the contract it is legally binding/

Alex Watts :

Therefore you have a binding contract and can only end it within the terms and conditions

Alex Watts :

The termination clause only applies if you become bankrupt or commit a serious negligent act

Alex Watts :

Therefore I am sorry to say that you can not terminate the contract and withdraw

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/