Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

there is a shared alley at the back of our terraced house and

there is a shared alley at the back of our terraced house and the next street, and someone has put a padlock on the gate at the end of the alley and we cannot find out who has done this, so cannot access our rear gate to the property for builders etc. What can we do about this padlock xxx
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your enquiry.

On the basis that you have a right of way over the alley, you are legally entitled to break off the padlock (if you can) so that you can exercise your right of way.

Unfortunately, the Police will not want to get involved, as they will see this as a civil dispute, and as you have already found out, nor will the Council.

Therefore, the only solution to the problem is to use physical force or find the culprit.

I am sorry there is no other magical answer!

I hope I have nevertheless answered your question.

Kind Regards
AL