12826847

I have had a builder to re roof my kitchen roof. I paid cash

Customer Question

I have had a builder to re roof my kitchen roof. I paid cash and have asked for receipts but he hasn't given me any. A week after he finished the work the roof started to rain in. I contacted 2 Independant roofers to look at the roof and they both said that it was a complete mess and the roof needed to be stripped back and the work to be redone. I sent an email to the roofer and it was a long time before he replied. He apologised to me and has offered to re do the roof but his terms are that I have to pay for certain things. Based on the fact He won't give me his address & his terms of buisness regarding redoing the roof, I don't want him to do the roof. Am I within my rights to refuse his offer & hire someone more trustworthy? (I don't have his address& he won't give it to me) I have tried the electoral office and other avenues but no luck. Julie

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

How much did you pay for the roof please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was very silly and did not keep a record of the amount I paid but it was approx £1,200.

But how did you pay?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I paid cash. I have asked him for receipts but he hasn't given me any
Thanks for the information.

You can refuse to let traders put right the faults that they have created if you can show that you have lost faith in them. That is a fairly high test. You have to satisfy a court that you have reasonable grounds to believe that there is no reason to trust that they are capable of putting right this problem.

Given that he won't give you contact details and he is asking you to pay for further work which is completely unlawful I think you probably would be able to show that.

Obviously though you will want to recover from him at some point and you will only be able to do so if you have an address. You can always use a tracing agent to track him down unless, of course, he is using an entirely false name.

I would complain to trading standards too.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Jo.
I have had a surveyor look at my roof and he will provide a report as to the defective workmanship. I have taken photographs of the kitchen ceiling also as the ceiling needs re plastering and the lights in the ceiling have sometimes water coming in. The lights on the cooker hood have ceased to work- I suspect this is also related to the kitchen roof. In one of the emails from the guy who did the roof, he has insinuated that I might not be telling the truth about the water coming in and has questioned the severity of the situation. The roof needs attention - am I within my rights to hire another roofer to do the work before court proceedings commence?there is probably more evidence of poor workmanship when the t iles are removed which would back my case. He also wrongly advised different tiles for the roof and the slate tiles have to go back on which were the original ones.
Yes, it sounds a class case for the small claims court