Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
18726264

Had to cancel my wedding venew ,due 2 partner leaving, now

Customer Question

Had to cancel my wedding venew ,due 2 partner leaving, now the hotel is wanted me 2 pay £3484 because of late cancelation is their anything I can do as my partner has left me in a lot of debt .
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 3 years ago.
Hi Thanks for your question. I am sorry to hear of your problems.

Can you let me know when you made the booking. When did you cancel? What do their booking conditions say about cancellation?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The wedding was book on 7th march 2013 and cancelled in January . The cancellation policy was that if I cancelled it after six months before six weeks it's 75% charge
Do you mean less than 6 weeks before the date? When was the date?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

6 month before the date ,the wedding was the21 june

Hi . The basic position is that the contract prevails but this is subject to the contract not being unfair in consumer cases.
A contract provision that requires 75% payment when you cancel 6 months in advance and without taking into account reletting is simply unreasonable and excessive. In my view this contravenes the regulations.

So I would write to them - write do not do it by telephone or write confirming anything said on the phone - saying their claim of r cancellation charges is clear unreasonable and in breach of The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999, Tell them you will not pay and given the length of notice you expect your deposit to be refunded. You can if they persist complain to the local trading standard office and I would tell them you will do that.