How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Vincent2013 Your Own Question

Vincent2013, JustAnswer Expert
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 213
Experience:  Qualified solicitor and barrister (non-practising) with 7+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Vincent2013 is online now

I have just put an offer in on a house which was accepted and

Customer Question

I have just put an offer in on a house which was accepted and paid £300 valuation fee. i then by chance found out there had been A SUICIDE in the property so pulled out of the sale. the vendor admitted they knew about the suicide but didnt disclose it to me and the estate agent said they didnt know. could i claim for money losses and time wasted?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Vincent2013 replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. My name's Vincent and I'm going to assist you with it.

One of the most frustrating aspects of buying property in England is that, generally, the upfront costs involved with making an offer do not get reimbursed if the transaction falls through. In essence, until contracts have been exchanged there is no binding contractual relationship between the parties.

Having said this, if a potential purchaser has incurred costs and is then forced to pull out of a sale because s/he becomes aware of a fact that the estate agent knew about, he may have recourse under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations. This is because these regulations can apply if an estate agent misled the potential buyer by omission.

Broadly, the estate agent has a duty to provide material information required by the average consumer to make an informed and timely decision. So, if, for instance, this particular property has fallen through a number of times due to prospective purchasers becoming aware of a suicide, they could be in breach of their duty by failing to disclose the issue subsequently.

If you feel you have been misled or treated unfairly you can contact the Property Ombudsman, who can force rogue agents to pay compensation. You could also consider contacting Trading Standards. Do make a complaint to the agent before referring it as they may be able to come to a mutually agreeable solution with you.

You can find the OFT's guidance on the relevant regulations as they apply to estate agents here:

I hope that's helpful but please don't hesitate to let me know if I can clarify anything.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions