12826847

my son who is from N.Ireland is studying medicine at Manchester

Customer Question

my son who is from N.Ireland is studying medicine at Manchester University. He needed a car to get to the Hospital every day.My son took out insurance last October at a cost of £2300.00 (the same insurance in N.Ireland would only have cost £700.00) The Insurance company are insisting that my son Dermot has to change the address on his driving licence to the address he is living at in Manchester. (he will only be living at this address for this academic year) Are the Insurance correct in insisting that he needs to change the address on his driving licence. Thank you Martin Mc CullaghXXXXX Omagh BT79 7QN

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

The insurance can actually stipulate this I'm afraid.

Its not a legal requirement but they can demand it because the address on the licence should be the same address as insurance is at.

They cannot legally insist on it, but they can refuse to insure him if he does not comply with their requirements.

The reason for the premium loading is because students are considered to be a high risk driver.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information. I'm just going offline for about an hour but I can pick up when I get back if you need to know anything else.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/