75100385

Dermot has tried to change the address on his licence. He sent

Dermot has tried to change the address on his licence. He sent the paperwork off to the DLA and they sent them back thinking incorrectly that he should have enclosed a £50 fee. When he contacted them they admitted their mistake. He has sent the paperwork off again but they told him it would take 2 weeks. The Insurance brokers have set a deadline of Tue. 11th Feb. to have this done. If they cancel the insurance they say he will only get £600 back. This does not seem fair as he has only 3 months gone on the policy. What are his options

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Why did he wait so long please?
Customer:

He was not aware that they required him to change the address on his licence. However we have passed the deadline and they cancelled his policy today. We were able to get cover with another company £1441 compared with £2300 which the other policy cost. So at least we have some good news. Thank you for your help.

Alex Watts :

Yes it is a legal requirement to keep DVLA notified of all changed and you should do this within 30 days of any change.

Alex Watts :

If you do not, actually it is a criminal offence

Alex Watts :

Can I help with anything else?

Customer:

Does that apply when you are at third level education

Alex Watts :

Yes.

Alex Watts :

Whenever you change address you must inform DVLA of the change

Alex Watts :

It applies to everyone

Alex Watts :

It is a legal requirement

Customer:

Thank you. That is all Martin

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/