Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
18726264

Do the bills and mortgage have to be split 50/50 despite the

Customer Question

Do the bills and mortgage have to be split 50/50 despite the fact that my ex partner earns more than twice the amount that I do, and he receives the total amount of money we earn by looking after a disabled lady/
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 3 years ago.
Can you provide a little more information? Are you married? Do you have children? Who lives in the house? I
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we are not married. .We have three children, the two younger ones are at Uni so live away during term time but are generally home in the holidays. The eldest has just returned home prior to working abroad for 6 months from April. Nobody else currently lives in the house

Ok Thanks. Who has suggested bills should be split 50/50 ? In England there is no obligation on unmarried couples to support each other generally although there is an obligation to support the children but if the are no longer in secondary education even that obligation has pretty much expired. It is really a matter of agreement.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What about the total income realised from us jointly caring for the disabled lady we look after being paid to him only?

Well if you are jointly employed you should arrange with your employer to pay your share to you. Clearly he is not entitled to all the money. If that was your only income and it was used for example to pay for the house then of course you would be entailed to an appropriate share.