Matt Jones
Matt Jones, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified and practising Solicitor with over 7 years post qualification experience
13732703

Hi. I was just wanting something clarifying. I have a new

Customer Question

Hi. I was just wanting something clarifying. I have a new customer who has purchased an expensive item from me after seeing it on ebay. He called me and asked if he could pay by Faster Payments transfer directly into my bank account. This is a legitimate payment method so I agreed and sure enough the money has been put in my account and is cleared. I called the bank to ask if the payment could be reversed at all by the sender and they said no. The item has been sent Special Delivery to address he gave me. Since this time the customer has come back to me and ordered more goods totalling many ££££s of pounds and paid by the same Faster Payments method and I have sent by Special Delivery to the same address. I am just a little alarmed (and pleased) at how much the chap has spent. I have no reason at all to suspect anything in particular. He is likely to just be a very good customer but there is something in the back of my mind niggling me to have a question answered. Obviously I have sold legitimate goods and accepted payment for them in good faith. However is there any way this money could be taken back from me. i.e. if the chap is spending illegitimate money or maybe money that is not his or the like. I am not at all saying he is but if that was a scenario would I be liable in any way and would I have to pay it back even though I have accepted it in good faith for goods supplied? Thanks very much.
Expert:  Matt Jones replied 2 years ago.

Matt Jones :

Hi I will try and help.

Matt Jones :

it is difficult to say exactly what sanctions could be imposed if the seller is using proceeds of crime, however the police and CPS do have wide ranging powers to freeze money from the proceeds of crime

Matt Jones :

You don't have to be a detective yourself and investigate the legitimacy of the buyer and his money, but you do need to be cautious. Especially if he is buying a lot of large ticket items. Ultimately if you are worried I would suggest speaking to the Serious organised Crime Agency, and this will ultimately help you should there be a problem in the future, showing a willingness not to be caught up in fraudulent behaviour

Matt Jones :

their website is

Matt Jones :

http://www.nationalcrimeagency.gov.uk/contact-us

Matt Jones :

I hope this helps and i would be grateful for a positive feedback so i can be paid for my time. if you have any follow up questions please ask

Matt Jones :

Hi sorry I note you are typing but I am going to have to go off line for a bit.If you post your question/comment I will get back to you asap on my return

JACUSTOMER-71gox72t- :

Hi. Thanks for your reply. It is a bit vague and does not really answer the question in hand although the advice is appreciated. Could you be a little more specific or is this not possible? Basically, from what you have said and reading between the lines, these payments he has made COULD in fact actually be taken from me if he is using the proceeds of crime even though I am not aware of it? As I said he may well just be a good customer but it would seem unjust that someone selling something in good faith and accepting a payment runs the chance of then having the money taken from them. For instance and just as an example, if someone went into say PC World and spent £1500 and paid cash for a computer but it was then found that the cash used was actually crime money, could PC World be made to give the money back for something they have sold in good faith and accepted money for? I am worried now :(

Matt Jones :

hi I'm sorry for the delay in replying

Matt Jones :

i suppose my previous advice was to highlight the powers of the investigating authorities, but the likely hood of a legitimate sale/purchase arrangement getting caught up in such an investigation is very small. Certainly the PC world example you have cited would not have PC world having to repay the money. if however the person, just for example, went into the store every week for a year and paid £1500 cash each time for a computer then the store may be investigated (but still not ultimately prosecuted you understand). Each business has to be aware of criminal activity and do things both appropriate tottheir circumstances and their business, but as I said the chances of being prosecuted as very small.

Matt Jones :

* are very small

JACUSTOMER-71gox72t- : Thank you. I will accept your answer and give you a good review
Matt Jones :

you are welcome

Matt Jones :

please feekl free to ask any follow up Q's