Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I am thinking of hiring a cleaner directly (not through an

I am thinking of hiring a cleaner directly (not through an agency). How can I independently verify that she is allowed to work in the UK, other than checking and taking a copy of her passport? Is there another way of checking independently? Is there a company that provides a checking service? Thank you.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

I would suggest the following options:
1. Ask the agency to provide a warranty and indemnity that she is entitled to work in the UK;
2. Ask for a copy of her work permit from the Agency and verify it with the UK border agency;
3. Ask for her national insurance number and verify it with HMRC. If she has an NI number then it is almost certain she is entitled to work here.

I would note as well that if she is from an EU country then she won't need any special permission to work in the UK.

There are third party security and identity companies that will verify peoples identities, criminal records and visa details, but we cannot specifically recommend third party services. I cannot recommend them but an example would be Experian (the credit referencing agency) provide this sort of service.

Can I be of any further assistance?

AJ

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I am not planning to use an agency hence wanting to know what steps to take when she provides me with her documents. I will need to independently verify that the documents are valid/reflect her true status, so the recommendation to check the NI number with HMRC is really useful.

I do have one more question, as I am an individual and not a company, would I still be able to use a third party company such as Experian's services or would this service be offered to companies only?

Thanks for your help

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

The service will be offered to any one that is prepared to pay for it, so you do not necessarily need to be a company.

If you are going to employ the cleaner directly then you will be under an obligation to at least verify her identity (not only for practical reasons for example if you ever need to report her to the police) but for potentially wider anti money laundering obligations. Therefore I do not think it would be unreasonable to ask to see a passport.

AJ