29905560

I have been defrauded of a lot of money by a man whom I Met

I have been defrauded of a lot of money by a man whom I Met on a dating website called Just CHristian Dating. Surrey police are now involved but the scammer is most probably based abroad so it is unlikely that I will be able to claim against any of his assets. I am wondering if I can make a claim against Global Personals, the parent company of the website,based in Windsor, Uk for placing his contact details onto the website when he was a frauds tear. I went onto a CHristian website in all good faith to find a like minded Christian gentleman not a con man and I feel let down by the company. I would be grateful of your advice . Thank you.
Christine

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Can you prove that the company knew that this person was a fraudster when they allowed him to become a member?

Customer:

Ben - I can't prove that the company knew that this person was a fraudster when they allowed him to become a member. However, if you go onto the Online Dating Protector which can be downloaded from the Global Personal website, it tells you that they employ a UK based team of 55 higly trained online dating safety experts who work around the clock to keep their sites scammer free. It then tells you how they do this "our team of super humans work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to ensure that all of our members are genuine. They review every profile and photo that is uploaded so the site, as well as looking out for common scammer trends. Thank to them, you'll only ever find real people on our sites". From this I am presuming that the man who defrauded me must have appeared to be genuine when he registered with the site or alternatively the anti-scamming team failed to notice that he was a conman.

Ben Jones : Hi, sorry I was offline by the time you had replied last night. You correctly assume that pursuing the individual for the money will be very difficult as they will be based abroad, difficult to trace and as they would be unwilling to just reimburse you it means you will have to sue them and that brings further challenges such as cross-jurisdictional legal action, which will be expensive and in the end still will not guarantee you get anything back. As to pursuing the dating site that will be equally difficult I'm afraid. You must be able to show that they either knew the person was a fraudster and allowed him to use the site, or that they were negligent in spotting he was not genuine. The first would be almost impossible to do, the second will depend on what information this person used when he registered and whether a reasonable site in a similar position as this one would have spotted him. Whilst there is a fraud prevention team, they will never be able to guarantee with 100% certainty that the site will be fraud-free. They will do their best but someone will always be able to slip through the net - it is just the nature of the internet these days and the ability for people to hide their true identity and thee is only so much the fraud team can do to identify someone as a fraudster. So to sue them successfully there is a lot for you to prove and I can guarantee you it will not be easy, which means there is a great risk of you spending even more time and money without getting anything in return. So bear that in mind before deciding on whether to proceed or not
Customer:

Ben

Customer:

OK - how would I go about proving that they were negligent in spotting he was not genuine as I do not have available the information that the person used when he registered (but Surrey Police do as they have been in contact with Global Personals and know that the credit card he used to join and become a member of Just Christian Dating was issued abroad) Also isn't it misleading for Global Personals to say that "you'll only ever find real people on our sites" as that gives me the impression that through their anti scamming devices, the site is secure. How do I prove whether a reasonable site in a similar position as this one would have spotted him when I don't know the anti-scamming software that this company uses.

Ben Jones :

this is the problem - proving all of this would be a rather difficult affair. It is unlikely that a court will find the site to have been at fault because after all your actions would have been exactly what any fraud site recommends that you do not do and that is to send money to strangers, no matter where you found them or who they tell you they are. So in the end it is really or a Judge to decide whether the above criteria have been met but in the circumstances I am afraid it is doubtful. I don't want to give you false hopes in this situation so this is my honest opinion.

Customer:

Thank you Ben for all of this advice. It is very much appreciated.

Customer:

XXXXX XXXXXndsay

Ben Jones :

You are most welcome and sorry it may not have been the answer you were hoping for