Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Is it possible to have a letter drawn up that says if I am

Is it possible to have a letter drawn up that says if I am left an inheritance that my partner cannot claim half when I become a beneficiary
Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. This form of letter would normally be a Deed of Trust. However, you need to be clear as to what you want to achieve. Be aware that in law, your partner cannot lawfully claim half of any inheritance you receive, as in law, you are two totally different people and just because two people are partners, or married, this does not give them any automatic share in the other partner or spouse's assets. The only time the law grants one partner or one spouse a share in the other partner or spouse's assets is upon dissolution of the Civil Partnership or upon divorce. If you are merely cohabiting couples, the only claim the cohabiting partner can make is upon death by the right given in the 1975 Inheritance (Claims by Dependents & Family) Act. Otherwise, one cohabiting partner does not share automatically in the other partner's inheritance or assets.

Customer: Hi I should have said I am married so would this form still be valid if after I inherit and he wants a divorce
Customer: Hi would this form still be valid if after I inherit and he then files for a divorce ?