LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

My son was arrested 18 months ago on allegations of possessing

Customer Question

My son was arrested 18 months ago on allegations of possessing images on his mobile phone. He was arrested at my pat rents house on my fathers birthday and the word peadophile was used liberally. This led to my parents asking my son to leave. ( I live in Australia). He then moved to my sisters house and has been arrested twice more since then with the last time my sister asking him to leave. The police have not charged him with anything and are holding over £1500 of his property in mobile phones and X Box etc. Being labelled a peodophile because of the police actions has left him mentally scarred and he feels they are out for him. He clams the original claim was a scorned ex girlfriend but my question is how can he bring this to a close and move on ? He is prevented from using the internet and is therefore unable to apply for jobs or stay in touch with family because they have his phones . It seems hugely unfair and is restricting his life not to mention the mental effect this is having on him
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello/ I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

Can you just give me some more information please? Has he actually been charged or been to court on this or is he still on police bail? The ban on using the internet is that a bail condition or is it some sort of order? Does he have a solicitor?

Customer:

He does not have a solicitor as he is not working. He tells me it was a bail condition but has not been charged .

Customer:

I am trying to help him from Australia after a recent visit I am shocked that he has been forced to live in poor accommodation and is unable to apply for jobs as most companies ask you to apply online, he has no access to emails so is unable to stay in touch with family

LondonlawyerJ :

Thankyou. I will be travelling to and at court for the next few hours. I will answer you as son as I am able to today. I hope that is OK.

Customer:

thats fine many thanks

Customer:

If you do need to speak online with me please let me know what time and I will ensure I am around.

LondonlawyerJ :

18 months is an exceptionally long time to be on police bail even in a case that may have some technical complexity for the police. Do you know if there is any particular reason for this? Am I right to assume that the other 2 arrests were for similar matters and that before this he had no involvement with the police.

It seems that this is an investigation into child pornography probably from the internet. The police will nearly always take all digital devices that a suspect in one of these cases has access to so that they can forensically examine them. It is hard to give you much advice here, the bail condition seems harsh and restrictive and it may have been in place for a long time.

He will be entitled to free and independent legal advice at the police station. This is not means tested and is available to everyone in police detention. Most criminal defence solicitors would be interested in talking to him before he goes back to the police station (do you know when that is?) and could make representations about the bail conditions. He is a serious position and would be very foolish not to get legal advice. If he follows this link to the Law society he will be able to use it to find a specialist criminal defence solicitor in his area.

I suspect that you will have more questions. Please feel free to ask.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi there . You mentioned a link to the Law Society but was not shown in your reply. Can you advise ?

I am our and just have my tablet so can't send link. But if you Google the law society you should see something for "find a solicitor" click on that and you will be there.