UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

I am 60 + a Permanent UK resident living with my family.I

Customer Question

I am 60 + a Permanent UK resident living with my family.I am under cancer treatment now.
My wife is also has poor health condition medically. We have a severely disabled girl (cerebral palsy) of 13 years old to look after everything for her at home.

Can we bring a non-paid domestic helper/worker from Bangladesh either on temporary or permanent basis? If we can how I can apply please let us know.

Yours Sincerely

KM Tuhfadar
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question.

Unfortunately in your case this would not be possible, the only way it will be possible is if the domestic worker is coming to the UK with a British or an EEA national who usually lives outside of the UK but is returning to the UK for a duration of no longer than 6 months.

Please see the following rules regarding domestic workers as stated by the home office:

When you apply for a visa, you must have been working for at least 1 year immediately before your application:

• as a domestic worker in the same house as your current employer; or
• in a household that your current employer uses regularly, and there is evidence of a connection between you and the employer.
You must intend to work full-time in the UK as a domestic worker for that employer in a household that your employer will live in.

You and your employer must have a written agreement that sets out the terms and conditions of your employment. It must say that that your employer will comply with UK law on the national minimum wage.

You must intend to travel to the UK with:

• an employer who is a British or EEA citizen, usually lives outside the UK, and does not intend to stay in the UK for more than 6 months; or

• that employer's husband, wife, civil partner or child who is also a British or EEA citizen; or

• the foreign national husband, wife, civil partner or child of an employer who is a British or EEA citizen and does not intend to stay in the UK for more than 6 months; or

• a foreign national employer (or their husband, wife, civil partner or child) who has a visa to come to the UK as a visitor.

You must also:
• be aged between 18 and 65; and
• intend to leave the UK at the end of 6 months or at the same time as your employer, whichever is sooner; and
• not intend to work in the UK except as a domestic worker for that employer; and
• be able to support yourself without the need for public funds.

Unless the domestic worker can meet the above rules he/she will be unable to reside in the UK as a domestic worker.

I hope this answers your question if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time. If however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.