13262538

Roy v Shanthi. Roy is my brother living in Cheadle Hulme. Shanthi

Customer Question

Roy v Shanthi. Roy (age 81) is my brother living in Cheadle Hulme. Shanthi (age 64 ish) is a long term platonic Tamil friend of his from Singapore. Long term relationship (i.e. re a number of times staying with Shanthi, i.e. an economic holiday. Shanthi has holidayed in UK a number of times staying with Roy, i.e. a relatively cheap holiday. Although regularly made aware that Roy was not interested in marriage but only in platonic friendship, by Roy and by others who know him well, Shanthi has become fixated with the idea that she will be marrying Roy. On this her current visit she has come with that expectation in her mind. Roy has made it clear that that is not going to happen. It has been known for years that Shanthi has got mental health problems and now that she knows her expectations are not going to be met she has snapped completely. She is being verbally violent to him on a regular basis and refuses to leave even though requested to do so by Roy. To be absolutely clear, Shanthi is on holiday at Roy's flat, she is not 'living with him'. His health is suffering with the stress of the situation and he doesn't know how to get her to go home. He also needs to know the position with regard to any possessions she has left at his flat over the years during her holiday visits that she hasn't taken back to Singapore with her. He is afraid that physical violence from her is not far away and wonders what to do in such difficult circumstances. He feels sorry for her because of her mental health and other health problems. But what to do? She is an alien visitor who refuses to leave and he is having to endure bullying and abuse simply because he will not do what she wants.

What Visa does she have?
Has she got a return ticket?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Re visa, she arrived before xmas and her permit to visit expires in April.

She always buys a return ticket.

Tks,

JGM.

I assume that he does not wish to wait until April to get rid of her?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Correct but his resources are limited,as are mine, so he will soldier on if the alternative is expensive. Should physical violence erupt then he will call me and I will attend with police. But really wants rid.

Tks,

JGM.

This person has no right to remain in your brothers home of he does not want her there.
It would be polite to organise a bed and Breakfast for her to stay in until she can change her ticket - but once he has done that he is entitled to ask her to leave - and to call the police of she refuses to do so.
If he is too frightened to do that then he could simply organise her somewhere to stay and then lock her out the next time she leaves the house
Again he can call the police of she tries to return
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. There is also the question of her property, as mentioned.

Tks,

JGM.

Ho should pack them up and give them to her when she leaves
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.