Hi, I noticed a Porsche for sale on ebay last week which was

I noticed a Porsche for sale on ebay last week which was several thousand pounds cheaper than equivalent cars on ebay. The car also had a "best offer" option which I exercised and eventually agreed a price of £13,000. I attempted to view the car that evening, however, the seller explained that he was a lawyer in the middle of a large case and taking this into consideration I agreed to complete the sale on Saturday. I requested vehicle details so I could complete an HPI check at which time the seller informed me that there had been a mix up at the post office and that he wasn't registered as the keeper on the V5. I progressed with the HPI check which highlighted I wasn't covered by their indemnity unless the owners name was on the V5. When I asked the seller to send the V5 to the DVLA he asked me for a deposit of £1300. When I explained I wasn't happy to do so he explained that he was in and out of court all the time and would sue me unless I completed the sale. On Saturday I received court papers from the seller informing me that I was being sued for £13000, plus interest, plus expenses unless I completed the sale. I have checked with ebay, DVLA, Trading standards and the Police and all believe this is a scam. If it isnt, am I obligated to buy this car should the seller proceed via court?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that its a scam necessarily.

However, I don't know what type of law he practices but if he is a lawyer then he will know perfectly well that his only claim is for the sum of his loss. Since he still has the vehicle to sell it is nothing even remotely like £13000. He might have a small claim for the cost of relisting on Ebay but nothing more than that and that is not worth suing over.

I wouldn't worry about this. Nothing will ever happen.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My thanks. It's always best to check with the experts.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile
Experience: Over 5 years in practice