12826847

I would like to know if my brother has the rite to ask for

Customer Question

I would like to know if my brother has the rite to ask for any administration accounts from me of my late farther my brother was not a executor of the will but named in the will .

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
As my estranged brother keeps sending me letters for documentation I cannot send him anymore than I already have I would just like to no if he is entitled to any documents because I am fed up with him writing to me.he has said that he has got legal advice.But I was told that as he was only a residuary beneficiary he was not entitled to see any paper work.But he knows how much was in his bank and how much the insurance was and the cost of the funeral .

Beneficiaries have no absolute right to see the will even and no absolute right to the complete breakdown of accounts of every single solitary penny of money that came into the estate and everything that was paid out.

They are entitled to the overall state account.

However, there is nothing to be gained by being secretive and my advice to executors is to let any beneficiary have whatever they ask for because all but not letting them have it will do is raised suspicion that something is untoward.

However, you cannot let him have what you have not got. Although, if this information is something that you had but no longer have, you could easily get and other copied from the insurance company.

The alternative is to simply ignore him, but there is the risk he would make an application to court to make you disclose the information if he suspects that he has grounds for a claim.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/