75100385

My husband and I had a fight. The neighbour called the police.

My husband and I had a fight. The neighbour called the police. He was arrested and charged with common assault and is now on bail. I gave a statement at the time and have now withdrawn my support from the investigation. He has pled guilty and has signed up voluntarily for counceling. What is the likelihood of him having to go to prison. It is the first common assault charge.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

What injuries were caused? Did the Police take photos?

Customer: I sustained a minor cut to the lip. One big bruise to the side of the leg that was caused by a slap. Some other bruises on my arms. Pictures were taken of all injuries caused.
Alex Watts :

Ok

Alex Watts :

Looking at the sentencing guidelines the starting point is a low level fine. The range is from a conditional discharge to a high level fine.

Alex Watts :

There would also be costs to pay of £85 plus a victim surchage.

Alex Watts :

But it is very unlikely he would have to go to prison

Alex Watts :

Customer: Thank you. Can he get an attorney provided?
Alex Watts :

It would be a Solicitor but yes on the day - he can ask for the duty Solicitor

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/