Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

My husband has recently died, we live in housing association

My husband has recently died, we live in housing association accommodation he has not worked for the last 7 years and I have been paying all the bills, rent, council tax, and utilities ect from my salary in full time employment, I have received no benefits from the government but unbeknown to me he had been claiming benefits saying that he lived on his own and obviously getting money to help pay for the housing ect of which I saw nothing or even new about, I have now received a bill from HM Customs & Excise for over £11000 for monies owed through these benefits, he has left no estate or monies and I have no savings or possesions so where do I stand on this matter and am I liable for the debt.

Thank you for any help you can offer
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

I am sorry for your loss. You are not personally liable for any debts belonging to your husband's estate.

What I would suggest you do is send the bill to the executor and allow him/her to deal with it.

Is the bill in your name?

I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The bill was addressed to me but was made out to my husband with his national insurance number on it, there is no executor as there is no will and he has no posessions, valuables or savings, pensions or property.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

The botXXXXX XXXXXne the only party responsible for this is your husband's estate.

If you are not responsible for administering it and it has no possessions or assets then write back to HMRC and let them know that there is nothing to be distributed from the estate.

The only way this will cause you a difficult is if you have any assets that you owned jointly.

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We have no assets which are in joint names, and I will inform HMRC of this and that there are no assets to distribute, thank you for your help.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

No problem.

I wish you the best of luck.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

AJ